Focus and Scope
“URVIO, Revista Latinoamericana de Estudios de Seguridad” is a FLACSO-Ecuador’s international indexed journal founded in 2007. The journal seeks to be a tool for debate, update, research, and query instrument to academics, policymakers, and public opinion makers from Ecuador, Latin America, and all the world.
URVIO is a biannual indexed journal. Each issue presents a central topic focused on a specific subject related to problems of violence and security in region. The other sections (miscellaneous, reviews and interviews) develop different topics about security.
URVIO is published in Spanish and its bibliographic standards are governed by the Chicago citation style (known as Chicago-Deusto in Spanish). The articles are received in Microsoft Word format and the journal is published in PDF, HTML and EPUB. All funding for the journal comes from the Latin American Faculty of Social Sciences in Ecuador (FLACSO Ecuador).
Frequency of publication
URVIO is a quarterly magazine, with the aim of increasing impact, visibility and current affairs. For these reasons, it publishes its three issues a year in the months of January, May and September. The periodicity corresponds to the months January-April, May-August and September-December.
Also, it receives during the whole year original contributions related to the field of the security studies.
The Committee will not commit to maintaining correspondence over the articles received. The papers will be submitted to external evaluators to the publishing institution or to the country through the double-blind peer review system. The opinions and comments expressed in the papers are strictly the responsibility of their authors and do not reflect the line of thought of FLACSO-Ecuador. The articles published in URVIO are the exclusive property of FLACSO-Ecuador. The total or partial reproduction of the contents is authorized whenever that "URVIO, Revista Latinoamericana de Estudios de Seguridad" is cited as a source.
Sent articles will be submitted to a review process which is executed in various stages:
1) Only articles which comply with formals requirements specified in magazine editorial rules will be given as received.
2) Articles received will be submitted to initial evaluation executed by the editor and an editorial council member, who will value thematic relevance, originality and text quality.
3) If an article has been valued positively, it will enter into an arbitration process under double-blind peer review system. This process consists of review each article through a filter of at least two academic anonymous reviewers.
For each article, readers with a fourth-level degree, whose publications show an extensive knowledge about topics addressed by paper, will be selected to review. Sometimes researchers without a fourth-level degree which have an investigation trajectory in the topic would be also selected.
For the paper's recommendation, readers will take into account the following features: article's quality in relation to its originality and contribution to the studied topic, theoretical solvency, critical or argumentative apparatus, methodology and information management, results or conclusions, bibliography, and expression clarity.
Based on the above, reviewers will determine if the article is:
a) publishable without modifications; b) a strong candidate for publication if certain corrections are made to the manuscripts; c) publishable if just deep corrections are made; d) no publishable.
4) In case of discrepancies in results, the article will be sent to a third reviewer, whose criterion will define if the paper can be published.
5) Arbitration process results will be irrevocable in all cases.
6) After sending the feedback, the Journal's Editorial Committee will analyze whether the incorporations made by the authors are relevant following the suggestions of the reviewers. The Editorial Committee is responsible for the last filter of the edition, in order to preserve the quality standards.
[Home] [Editorial board] [Instructions to authors] [Subscriptions]
All the content of the journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Rua, número, complementos Bairro teste
CEP Cidade Estado País